Windsor School at the opening in November 1953. It was not finished. The “bombed block” in evidence. No chapel. A fence went round the front field blocking off the future chapel, maths and art block, as well as the bombed block. This picture from May 1954.
The “bombed block” rebuilt. the displaced persons in the two wings moved out . Sick bay moved from the dining block to the top floor. Balmoral House started in the middle floors and the Staff Mess on the ground floor closest to the sports field. Geoff McPate, one of the “Originals” took this photo in 1954.
The original teachers designed the badge incorporating elements from Windsor, UK,BAOR and the crest of Mark (location of the school) in the Hamm crest. The original badge was updated in 1961 when the school split.
It did not take long for an enterprising pupil to send the school badge to the Rover comic!. This from 1954. The badge featured three more times in the following decade.
The original badge
Saturday 10 July 1954, the formal opening. Headmaster Aspinall with Sir Richard Gale, Commander in Chief BAOR. Gale was the first of many senior military visitors throughout the schools´ history. WPB Aspinall was headmaster until 1958, moved briefly to Cyprus and returned to BFES as headmaster Queen´s School until 1970.
It rained for the opening but the formal parade of Scouts and Guides still took place.
Mid 1950s and the skiffle craze reaches Windsor School. Lance Lupton is sitting to one side: pianist and organist.
A CCF Annual Inspection. Headmaster Aspinall on the left: Mr Wilkerson in navy uniform. The school were surprised during a film about the Navy during WW2 to see Lt Wilkerson! Many teachers helped with the CCF and retained their military ranks.